[CT Birds] Off Topic but Bird Related

Donna Caporaso donnacap at aol.com
Tue Feb 14 19:39:49 EST 2012

Hi All,

I would like help from all those willing to offer it. I will try and keep this short, so please email me for more info.

There is a proposed recycling center that was just received it's Notice of Tentative Determination from the DEEP.  You may have seen articles or news stories regarding it.  The facility will be located on the Housatonic River in Milford (990 Naugatuck Avenue).   The list of materials it proposes and the truck traffic will pose a great risk to the River and LIS. It has been in the application process since 2008 and I have been involved in a Milford neighborhood group opposing it since last year.  There are many reasons why this facility should not be allowed to operate under the proposed application but the one closest to my heart is the River and LIS.  I enjoy the River everyday, rain or shine.  I have lived in town all my life.  I have seen the wildlife return to her banks and the marshes after the years of abuse from the industry north.  It would be a tragedy to see her lose ground now.  The City of Milford is fighting this but as an environmental attorney told me, municipalities are often forced into making compromises that aren't always the best choice for the environment.  We need to fight it with facts and be able to back those facts up.  We can't rely on the DEEP or City to focus on every issue.

I have tried to navigate the state and federal databases but find them cumbersome and un-user friendly and thought I would ask all of you for your input and expertise.  This is what we are looking for:
To compile a list of all birds/wildlife that are known or have been seen within one mile of the facility within the past 18 months.
If possible, what type of chemicals or other substances would affect these birds, their eggs, their young, etc.
And, of course, any other information you think should be included.

They attorney (who is helping us minimally for free until we hopefully can build a fund) said if we can get statements from "experts" or those knowledgeable in their statements, they would be allowed as factual.  Any help you can offer will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for allowing me this time.  If anyone would like more info, or would like to write a letter in opposition of this facility I will send you the information needed to reference it.  There will be a window in which correspondence should be sent to the DEEP.  If you would like me to notify you of the public hearing date(s), I would be happy to do that as well.  Please don't hesitate to contact me.

Kind regards,

Donna Caporaso
Stratford, CT

https://www.facebook.com/groups/124582754288405/   (Facebook page in opposition.  Website:  defendmilford.com)