[CT Birds] Iceland Gull (1926)

Robert DeCandido PhD rdcny at earthlink.net
Tue Feb 14 20:14:21 EST 2012

The Iceland Gull in Connecticut. -- On November 26, 1926, I saw a
single pure white gull among the Herring Gulls on Fairfield Beach,
Fairfield, Conn. The bird looked to be about the same size as the
Herring Gulls, or possibly a trifle smaller, and I took it to be an
Iceland Gull (Larus leucopterus) in the second year plumage. Only one
record of this species is reported in the 'Birds of Connecticut,' but
its more frequent occurrence in neighboring states indicate that it
may occur here more commonly than the records show. -- Aretas A.
Saunders, Fairfield, Conn. [Published via the Dwight Memorial Fund]

Auk 49(1): 84 (Jan-Mar.1932).