[CT Birds] Glaucous at Windsor Landfill - 02/15

James P. Smith keenbirder at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 15 20:22:47 EST 2012

Greetings birders,

Spent 3.5 hours at Windsor/Bloomfield Landfill today in balmy, spring like conditions. Good numbers of gulls (c.2000) present, mostly settled birds with very little turn over during the time that I was there. Highlights;

Glaucous Gull - 1 (1st cycle).
Kumlien's Gull - 1 (1st cycle).
Lesser Black-backed Gull - 1 (1st cycle). I'm pretty sure this was the same bird I had here on Feb 3rd featured in this post;

All three scarcer gulls were found within the first hour and then lingered with the masses.

Also, a couple of Turkey Vultures wheeling around, but no Bald Eagle trouble today.

Best birding,

James P. Smith

Gill, MA