[CT Birds] This Saturday's birding adventure to R I- if you would like to join us- K and J Mueller

kmueller at ntplx.net kmueller at ntplx.net
Thu Feb 16 09:35:20 EST 2012

Hi Everyone,

The birding adventure that Jen and I are leading to the coast of Rhode
Island originally scheduled for last Saturday (which was postponed
because of weather) will be taking place this Saturday (and so far the
weather looks good). We have nine hearty souls still going
(unfortunately, we lost five due to the date change) and we are still
extending the offer to anyone that would like to join us.

THis is a very informal birding field trip to coastal Rhode
Island. Being mid February with unusually warm winter weather, bird
species and numbers are completely unpredictable. This will be a full
day coastal birding trip focusing on interesting species, beautiful
locations and scenery, and hopefully good photo opportunities for
photographers.

If anyone would like to join us for this day, we would be happy to
have you come along. We don't have a formal schedule planned, we bird
our favorite spots as conditions and the birds dictate. Because sea
birding will be our primary focus, I pay close attention to the wind
and weather conditions to hopefully give you the best birding
experience possible.

We will be starting at dawn at Beavertail Point in Jamestown, and the
rest of the day will depend on the birds. If you have been following
my blog reports, you will have an idea on what can be possible. Jen
and I plan on visiting our favorite sites in Jamestown, Newport,
Middletown, Narragansett, and the South County Beaches and Shore.

The Herring biomass has moved well offshore, taking many of the
seabirds with it. BUt, there are still plenty of sea birds and sea
ducks along the shore, and don't forget the Gull possibilities.

Because we never know where we will be at any given time, we suggest
bringing your lunch, however we will be stopping throughout the day
for hot coffee and pit stops.

If you are interested and care to join us, please send me an email
(kmueller at ntplx.net) (use Rhode Island birding as a topic) and I will
reply with the details including meeting points and times.

I like to start early so plan on starting at dawn (which is the best time for
seabirding). Although, if you wish to join us later, you can give us a
call on our cell phones, and we can tell you where we are at that time.

I have been seabirding in Rhode Island for many years,
and it has never disappointed! You never know what we will find!

Hope you can join us!

Keith and Jen Mueller
Killingworth, CT
http://coastalbirds2.blogspot.com/