[CT Birds] White-winged crossbill

Comins, Patrick PCOMINS at audubon.org
Thu Feb 16 12:11:02 EST 2012

From Patrick Comins with Corrie Folsom-O'Keefe, Leslie Kane and Sandy Breslin (with Ken Elkins being 10 seconds too late):
2/16 - Southbury, Audubon Center at Bent of the River, WHITE-WINGED CROSSBILL, flyover and perched in sycamore tree across the field from the barn.

To be honest, I had called it as Red Crossbill from the call note (raspy jip jip, jip, jip, jip), but the photos told otherwise.  Guess I gotta brush up on my finch flight calls.   A bad, but identifiable photo on my Facebook page.

Patrick M. Comins
Director of Bird Conservation

Audubon Connecticut
185 East Flat Hill Road