[CT Birds] COA Annual Meeting - Saturday, March 24

Steve Morytko smorytko at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 17 07:45:26 EST 2012

Birders and other friends,

The schedule of events and meeting registration information for the Saturday, March 24th COA Annual Meeting at Middlesex Community College has been posted on the COA web site. For complete details visit:

From the link above ...

Everything You've Ever Wanted to Know about Gulls but Were Afraid to Ask
Alvaro Jaramillo, author of The Birds of Chile and the “Identify Yourself” column in Bird Watcher’s Digest will give us some pointers for easy gull identification while dealing with aspects of biology, taxonomy, and conservation. But the real story is about how much fun and excitement there is to gull watching in North America and how birders might be missing out on something that is actually a good time!
Unfamiliar Facts About Familiar Faces

Wayne Petersen is himself familiar to many COA members as the Director of Mass Audubon’s IBA program, and a long-time lecturer and field trip leader to birding hotspots around the world. His presentation will investigate how much we really know about some of the most familiar bird species of our backyards, and give us a brief look into the lives of some of our more regularly encountered New England bird species. Their life stories are almost stranger than fiction.

 Past, Present, and Future
Richard Crossley  is the author of the highly regarded Crossley ID Guide: Eastern Birds, which revolutionized field guide design by providing the first real-life approach to identification. Mr. Crossley will enlighten and entertain us with his tales of lessons learned while growing up in the wild British birding scene, and provide some insight into his innovative approach to birding, and his thoughts on our relationship to the natural world, TV, advertising, books, and business.
A book signing will follow immediately.

COA Raffle
The ever-popular Raffle will conclude our day with many prizes including avian artwork and valuable birding equipment donated by generous artists and vendors. This year’s raffle includes a carving of a White-tailed Tropicbird by Keith Mueller. Raffle tickets will be available throughout the day.

Meeting registration is open to the general public. You won't want to miss this one! We hope to see you there.

Steve - for the COA web team
Steve Morytko