[CT Birds] Details on the Western Grebe

Christopher Loscalzo closcalz at optonline.net
Sat Feb 18 18:48:28 EST 2012

I went to the RI coast today to do some scouting for the NHBC field trip
next week.  I was accompanied by my wife, Marianne.  Around 10 am, we
spotted a long-necked, large, white-throated grebe swimming close to shore
at the south point of Beavertail State Park in Jamestown, RI.  The bird was
very cooperative: it moved along the coast in a northeasterly direction for
the hour that we observed it.  The field marks of the bird were easily
observed: the black cap encompassing the dark eye, the dark stripe down the
back of the neck, the white cheek and throat, the long, straight dingy
yellow bill, and dark back.  It is larger than a Red-necked Grebe and longer
necked than a loon. The facial pattern confirmed it as a WESTERN GREBE and
not a Clark's.  Unfortunately, we were the only birders there (I had fun
showing it to a few interested passersby), and we didn't have a camera, so I
am hoping that it sticks around for a while so that others get to see it and
photograph it.

For those CT birders planning on going on the trip next week, hopefully this
will be a good omen for finding good birds.   Black-legged Kittiwakes were
seen earlier in the morning at Beavertail, and a Snowy Owl has been seen
regularly at Sachuest Point (although it was not there today).  Other good
finds on our scouting trip included a male Barrow's Goldeneye and immature
Bald Eagle at Trustum Pond and a pair of Northern Pintail at Weekapaug.

Good Birding,

Chris Loscalzo,

Woodbridge