[CT Birds] GBBC update Sunday, Update on Thayer's Gull (perhaps not), another gulling party tomorrow and trumpeters

Comins, Patrick PCOMINS at audubon.org
Sun Feb 19 08:38:09 EST 2012

We're up to 128 species for the Great Backyard Bird Count.  Thank you all for submitting your records this weekend.
Species added yesterday include:
Ring-necked Pheasant (I wonder if they are going to become uncountable at some point),
Great Egret
Black-crowned Night-Heron
Golden Eagle
Virginia Rail
Black-headed Gull
Barred and Great Horned Owls
Red-headed Woodpecker
Eastern Phoebe
Ruby-crowned Kinglet
Hermit Thrush
Gray Catbird (lots of them, I may have to see if there are duplicate reports)
Brown Thrasher
American Pipit
Yellow-breasted Chat
Lapland Longspur
Swamp Sparrow and
Harris' Sparrow

I had to remove Northern Shrike, as it turned out to be a Northern Mockingbird (isn't there a shrike somewhere in the state?!),  I removed Thayer's Gull (discussion below) and I'm still awaiting details on the Redhead reported in Fairfield.

There have been many questions as to why you can't submit Trumpeter Swan and I am checking as to whether they can be entered.  It probably has to do with whether or not the ARRC has yet accepted them as countable.

Some species still not found this year:
Black Scoter, Common Eider, Ruddy Duck, Barrow's Goldeneye, Red-necked Grebe, American Bittern, Northern Goshawk, Rough-legged Hawk, Greater Yellowlegs, Slaty-backed, Ross', California, Mew or Yellow-legged Gull (Ok just wishing here), Long-eared Owl, Northern Saw-whet Owl, Snowy Owl, Horned Lark, any warblers!, Snow Bunting, White-crowned Sparrow, crossbills or Evening Grosbeak.

I had to remove the Thayer's Gull from the count.  Too much uncertainty with this bird.  It is perhaps a bit too dark and has first winter feathers coming in on the scapulars and mantle, whereas a Thayer's should still have uniform juvenile feathers.  Seeing the bird in the field I have doubts that it is just an aberrant Herring Gull, but also not quite right for Thayer's.  It must be a Thayerring's Gull!

Good birding!

Patrick M. Comins
Director of Bird Conservation

Audubon Connecticut