[CT Birds] Backyard list and question on ID

Dan Dutrumble dutrumble at hotmail.com
Sun Feb 19 20:16:21 EST 2012

I used to bird quite a bit back in the mid 90's through the early 2000's.  Just started to get back into it over the past month and I must admitt that I'm quite rusty after the hiatus.

I was feeling lazy today  but wanted to contribute to the GBBC, so I sat out on my deck for a couple of hours.  List of species is below, but I had a strange sighting.  While looking through the binoculars at a plane, something caught my eye.  As I looked up with my naked eye I saw a few light colored specs.   Looking through the binoculars again they were indeed birds at what I'm guessing was 5000 ft or higher.  Tough to even see well with binoculars and the bright sun washed them out a bit.  There were 5 birds in all within a few hundred feet of each other, no formation pattern.  They looked mostly white/light colored with some black towards the wing tips.  They honestly looked like Peregrine Falcons.  I watched them soar in a straight line for about 2 miles in a north south direction and there was not 1 wing flap.  I saw 3 more at different times over the next hour traveling in the exact same flight path. I do remember seeing Peregrines soaring like this on Block island in the fall migration but never in a loose flock like this.  Anyone seen something similar or have any thoughts?

2-19-12 backyard list...Preston CT

Yellow-rumpled Warbler
Turkey Vulture
Red-shouldered Hawk