[CT Birds] GBBC Record species count

Comins, Patrick PCOMINS at audubon.org
Mon Feb 20 15:36:58 EST 2012

Pink-footed Goose was species #142 for the count, a new record high count.   With the Tree Swallow and Pine Warblers reported today we should stand at 144.   Maybe we'll even make it to 150 if folks find some more things before the day is through.  Good job team CT!

The Windsor landfill had an Iceland Gull and several cold observers.   Interestingly, a random photo of birders showed an interesting first year gull that no one had noticed that looks kind of Yellow-leggedy, like a Herring Gull with a black tail band, white rump and not much contrast between secondaries and coverts and inner and outer primaries.  Maybe just a trick of the lighting?

Patrick Dugan had a quick glimpse of an adult Thayer's type, perhaps the same bird we had on Friday, but we weren't able to relocate it.

Patrick M. Comins
Director of Bird Conservation

Audubon Connecticut
185 East Flat Hill Road