[CT Birds] Feeder common grackles - Washington, CT

John D Babington davewb07 at sbcglobal.net
Tue Feb 21 10:33:29 EST 2012

Had seven common grackles on the ground by our bird feeder this morning at breakfast (Tuesday, 21 Feb 2012). Always consider seeing any blackbirds at this time of year as a sign of Spring, though I think of seeing red-winged blackbirds more as a sign of Spring. I have fond memories of taking birding walks along an railroad bed between the Delaware River and the Crosswicks Creek in Bordentown Township, New Jersey and looking forward to seeing flocks of red-wings in the marsh in the late Winter. Seeing the red-wings there was a sign that Spring in mid state New Jersey was on it's way.

David W Babington
Washington, CT