[CT Birds] Mystic Oriole

Glenn Williams gswilliams9 at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 21 19:17:53 EST 2012

I had a female Baltimore Oriole at my parent's suet feeder in Mystic today (3 pm).  To be honest, I can't be 100% sure of the ID as I was without binoculars and only had a few seconds of observation.  The uniform yellow underparts rule out Bullock's Oriole.  For some reason I thought of female Western Tanager just before it flew to a nearby tree.  By the time I got my binoculars, it was nowhere to be found.  I stood vigil until dark but never saw it again.  I put out oranges and hope that it shows tomorrow.  My parents are casual feeder birders but I gave them ID points to look for.  Wish I got a better look.  The beak seemed a little thick and yellowish instead of gray on the lower half.  There were no orange tones to the plumage.

Glenn Williams
Mystic