[CT Birds] GBBC Approaching 150 species

Comins, Patrick PCOMINS at audubon.org
Tue Feb 21 19:31:57 EST 2012

It looks like we will break the 150 species mark when all is said and done.   Our current preliminary total is 146 species, but I know of at least four species reported over the weekend that were not submitted, including Greater White-fronted Goose, Northern Shoveler, Tree Swallow and Pine Warbler.  If you had any of these species between Friday and Monday, please consider submitting them here: http://gbbc.birdsource.org/gbbcApps/input

We will also be doing a review of the final tally to see if there are species that made it through, but may need additional details.    Additionally, if anyone can get good views (and hopefully photograph) and confirm the adult Thayer's-type gull that was seen on Friday and Monday at the landfill, that could count since it was seen during count period (we don't know for sure that it wasn't a dark Iceland Gull).    You can see the complete results here and if you saw something that wasn't reported, please submit the observation:
http://gbbc.birdsource.org/gbbcApps/report?cmd=showReport&reportName=StateSummary&state=US-CT

A more detailed final analysis will be forthcoming once all of the dust settles.  Thanks for all the interest in the GBBC this weekend!  We even made the national highlights with the two Common Murres that were seen over the weekend.

Sincerely,

Patrick

Patrick M. Comins
Director of Bird Conservation