[CT Birds] Southport Survey 294

Dennis Varza dennisvz at optonline.net
Wed Feb 22 14:28:43 EST 2012

Southport Survey # 294

The tide was rising so that the rocks were exposed but the bar was
covered. There was a slight breeze resulting in only ripples water.
The sky was partly cloudy.

On the back side of the island was a mixed flock of the White-winged
Scoters and 18 Greater Scaup. I don’t recall ever seeing the two
species in such a mixed flock. Out across the Sound to the west were
Red-throated Loon, with a sprinkling of Horned Grebes about. Their
density increased closer to shore.

The Long-tailed Ducks were scattered about just off shore, showing a
lot of courship displaying even though they were all still in winter
plumage. The Goldeneye were just off the bluff between Pine Creek
Beach and Sasco Beach. The Brant were in one flock and were cruising
the shore from Pine Creek beach to Southport Beach.

The golf course ponds were open and contained some Mallards, 2 Swans
and 22 Red-breasted Mergansers. Talk about shooting fish in a barrel.
In Southport Harbor the flats were covered and the geese were
paddling about along with Baby Huey.

At Southport Beach, most of the puddle ducks were at the mouth of
Sasco Creek. Many of the wigeon were to the west around the bend from
the beach so the Eurasian wigeon could have been there. Another
oddity was a raft of about 100 Greater Scaup off the beach. I never
saw a raft in such a location.

Dennis Varza

DATE	01/28	02/07	02/12	2/22
Tide	Low_	High	Low_	High