[CT Birds] Cutting the Starbucks habit, but not coffee

Frank Mantlik mantlik at sbcglobal.net
Wed Feb 22 18:18:00 EST 2012

Hi Paul,
Thanks for sharing your experiences in Costa Rica's coffee (and birding)
country. It brought to mind the "MacDonald's Connection" of deforestation in the
neotropics for raising beef cattle, I witnessed first-hand in Panama decades
ago.

It was great bumping into you down there at Sevegre Lodge, while I was
co-leading a Sunrise Birding tour .  It's a small world!   Several people from
CT were traveling with me.

During the tour, our local leader brought us to a great family-run organic,
shade-grown coffee farm, Finca Cristina. They do all the steps on site - grow
the beans, hull and sun-dry them, roast, package, and ship. The wife of the
owner grew up in Stratford, CT - we shared stories about birding here.  Their
son works as a birding guide in Costa Rica. They have wonderful bird feeders
near the main house.
Anyway, their coffee is fabulous.  I brought home 4 pounds of light & medium
roast.
Their web site is: www.cafecristina.com

Frank Mantlik
Stratford