[CT Birds] Cutting the Starbucks habit, but not coffee

Hannan, John jhannan at audubon.org
Wed Feb 22 19:36:44 EST 2012

Paul:
Another excellent option for bird lovers who want excellent coffee is Birds and Beans, http://www.birdsandbeans.com/coffee.html  This brand was started by ornithologists working at the Smithsonian Migratory Bird Center and carries up to three certifications: all coffees have the Smithsonian Migratory Bird Centers bird friendly seal which has probably the highest standards for shade grown canopy cover and landscaping, the USDA's organic grown seal and most also carry the Fair Trade seal ensuring the best possible labor practices are conducted on the coffee finca.

Russ Greenberg of the Smithsonian Migratory Bird Center has been deeply involved in this project including the research of the certification process, impacts on birds of all the various styles of coffee growing and health and economic potential for shade grown coffee farmers.

Birds and Beans spoke persons include Ken Kaufmann, Scott Weidensaul, Bridget Stutchbury, Wayne Petersen, and Ken Rosenberg.

The coffee has several roasts, mild, medium, and strong as well as decaffiniated.  You can buy it on line at the site I referenced above or at an expanding line of small grocers and the outlets.  Purchase on the Birds and Beans site will cause a dollar of your purchase to go to the Smithsonian Migratory Bird Center I believe.  If you prefer to support the Cornell Lab of Ornithology, buy it on their website in the Shop for a Cause section.  If you want to stop by the Audubon Greenwich Center we have it there.  Or, as another option for those with websites of their own or their organization, contact Birds and Beans yourself and sell the coffee From your site and they will donate a portion of sales to your organization.

In a consumer driven society our purchases will drive the Starbucks of the world to decide if they should offer shade grown.  For those who want to enjoy coffee we can make a real difference in the wintering grounds of many CT summer residents if we buy shade grown and move the coffee industry to a more avian responsible place.
John Hannan

Sent from my iPad