[CT Birds] Harris' sparrow, Trumpeter Swans - yes

Janis LaPointe sunbirdjan at cox.net
Wed Feb 22 20:03:28 EST 2012

Went to Woodbridge and found the two Trumpeter Swans at Knolds Pond, Warren Road.   I left a 3:30 p.m. and they were mostly resting with heads tucked.   Also present, many Ring-necked ducks, two Mute Swam, Ring-billed Gulls and two male, 4 female, Hooded Mergansers.  Another Hooded Merg. looked like a juv. male, though I don't know if this could occur at this time of year.   I have photo if anyone would like to see it.    This bird had a silvery patch at the back of its head, and the hint of darkening on front of head.
The Harris's Sparrow  was observed from 4:40 to 5:10 p.m. at Norwich Rd, Lebanon.   Beautiful bird.     Song sparrows and White-throated Sparrows were also still feeding that late in the day.
Janis LaPointe
Efield, CT