[CT Birds] Stratford Red-Winged Blackbirds / Ravens

Donna Caporaso donnacap at aol.com
Thu Feb 23 11:45:55 EST 2012

2/23/2012 This morning at the Stratford Boat Ramp there were two Red Winged Black Birds across from the treatment plant discharge canal/waterfall.  I've been hearing / seeing them all week.

Also two Ravens have been very active in the area of Main Street/Access Road.  I work in an office directly across from Frash Pond and yesterday and this morning I have watched them sit in the trees along the road and then fly toward me and up toward our roof.  I suspect they are looking to nest up there.  There has been a lot more gull on the roof with them dropping what sometimes sounds like bricks onto it and a lot of squawking.  Maintenance tells me Gulls typically nest on the roof and they have a service that removes the nests each year.  He said if the Ravens nest there, those nests would be removed as well :(  I asked if I could get permission to go up there and look around at some point he said that was doubtful, (which doesn't surprise me).

Donna Caporaso
Stratford, CT