[CT Birds] Two items of interest

Nick Bonomo nbonomo at gmail.com
Sat Feb 25 10:42:59 EST 2012

Two other things for CT birders to keep in mind:

 - An influx of large numbers of Bohemian Waxwings into central VT and
other nearby New England areas in recent days, likely a result of food
sources to the north being wiped out and the birds forced to move
south as a result. The influx appears to stop abruptly in VT and NH,
but at least one was reported from western MA this past week, so
perhaps one or more could sneak into Connecticut before they head back
N/NW. Most likely in the under-birded NW hills or quiet NE corner.

 - It's almost time for the annual coastal gull & waterfowl
plankton-feeding event. We should start watching for plankton-feeding
behavior. It will be interesting to see how intense the event is this
year given the mild winter. I admittedly don't know what triggers
these events, nor do I know how this winter's water temperature in LI
Sound compares to the recent average. I know that Dennis Varza and
others have been looking into this, so perhaps he/they can share
theories up to this point. Anyway, something to watch for.

Nick Bonomo
Wallingford, CT