[CT Birds] Two items of interest

lpflynn at optonline.net lpflynn at optonline.net
Sat Feb 25 11:35:27 EST 2012

I have been following the water temps in LIS this winter as I have for a few decades, there have been a few warms ones in the past 20 or so years, but if this winter isn't the tops, it has to be very close.
This morning at the Western Sound Buoy off Greenwich, the surface water temp has finally dropped below 40 degF for the first time this winter to 39.7.
The Eastern Sound Buoy of New London is at 43.3, this end of the sound is normally warmer in the winter. The Norwalk Harbor Station has 42.7, this is at a 8ft depth, the others are 3ft deep.
In other years my recordings could dip down to 30F in cold winters and mid to upper 30's during milder winters.
There has been 0 ice in the harbor except for light skim ice on occasion.
I recall 1992 my boat was locked in with 12" of ice all winter, people were walking across the harbor from East Norwalk to South Norwalk, I didn't get the boat free until March 6th.
If you were to compare this years water temps to recent averages, yes it would be above average.
This follows the warming trend in the waters of LIS. I believe the State has been monitoring this since 1980(?)  Let me see if I can find that data.
The next full moon is around March 8th, will that produce the plankton blooms?

Larry Flynn
Norwalk