[CT Birds] CTBirds Digest, Vol 1826, Issue 2 Two Items of interest -Nick Bonomo

CHARLOTT WESTON charbird at optonline.net
Sat Feb 25 12:51:09 EST 2012

Message: 5

  Date: Sat, 25 Feb 2012 10:42:59 -0500
  From: Nick Bonomo <nbonomo at gmail.com>
  To: Frank Mantlik <mantlik at sbcglobal.net>
  Cc: Birds CT <ctbirds at lists.ctbirding.org>
  Subject: Re: [CT Birds] Two items of interest

   - It's almost time for the annual coastal gull & waterfowl
plankton-feeding event. We should start watching for plankton-feeding
behavior. It will be interesting to see how intense the event is this
year given the mild winter. I admittedly don't know what triggers
these events, nor do I know how this winter's water temperature in LI
Sound compares to the recent average. I know that Dennis Varza and
others have been looking into this, so perhaps he/they can share
theories up to this point. Anyway, something to watch for.

  Nick Bonomo
  Wallingford, CT
  www.shorebirder.com

Hi All,

I usually spend an hour or so at Gulf Beach every day and in the past
few days have noticed small groups of gulls -
mostly ring billed (with some Herring an a few Greater Black Backed
Gulls) a few Brant and winter ducks such as bufflehead, goldeneye and
RB mergansers doing quite a bit of surface feeding a short distanceoff
shore. On a couple of occasions, at low tide, I have also seen the
brant, gulls and mergansers feeding along the edge of the water almost
in the same manner as they surface feed.

Charlotte Weston