[CT Birds] Coffee again

zellene zellene at earthlink.net
Sun Feb 26 04:11:15 EST 2012

I had been searching for a lighter roast decaf shade-grown organic fair trade coffee for a long time. The Birds and Beans Smithsonian decaf is dark roast. Well, I finally found a good one at the new Fresh Market on Rt 44 in Avon. Larry's Beans has a nice line of decaf and regular shade-grown organic coffees, and according to the bag they are produced sustainably...even their trucks use old vegetable oil. Their facility uses solar panels and they roast beans in a passive solar, rainwater-harvesting warehouse. The bag itself is biodegradable. What more could you ask???

I had conversations with the rep from Birds and Beans who wanted to get a coffee buying club started among birders around Hartford. The problem with ordering from any of these companies is paying shipping unless you want large quantities...it just isn't economically worthwhile for an individual. I am a coffee fiend, but I still don't go through that much each month!

Zellene