[CT Birds] Mystery oriole mystery solved?

Glenn Williams gswilliams9 at yahoo.com
Sun Feb 26 20:59:58 EST 2012

You may remember my "binocularless" mystery female oriole report from last week that I assumed had to be a Baltimore (by date) but I could not be sure.  I thought it could have been a Western Tanager, but plumage-wise best fit Orchard Oriole.  I never saw the bill well.  Maggie Jones, who lives less than a half of a mile away from me (as the oriole flies) says that she had a female Orchard Oriole visiting her suet feeder all day today.  Amazing.  What is the history of Orchard Oriole overwintering in New England?  Any records at all?  It is usually one of the first passerines to head south, leaving as early as July.

Glenn Williams