[CT Birds] Stratford Point bird walk March 8 - gull time/full moon

Scott Kruitbosch skruitbosch at ctaudubon.org
Mon Feb 27 10:10:47 EST 2012

Twan and I discussed this on Friday actually before the discussion on the list in picking out a date. We're all thinking the same thing. See if you can come down for this evening and maybe peak-time gull event...

Connecticut Audubon Society Conservation Technician Scott Kruitbosch will lead a public bird walk at Stratford Point on March 8 from 4 p.m. to sunset with an inclement weather date of March 9, same place and time. It will be a great chance to find some migrant waterfowl and new ducks for the season, a handful of newly arrived shorebirds and long-legged waders, and to see possibly thousands of gulls in the mouth of the Housatonic River at low tide. March 8 is the date of the full moon when there should be a great number of barnacle/plankton blooms on the waters of Long Island Sound, bringing in gulls to feed on them that will then rest on the sandbars between Stratford Point and the Coastal Center at Milford Point at low tide. Two years ago, a similar event saw upwards of 10,000 gulls present here. While numbers that day may not surpass that total, it is a good bet that we will have a bunch of birds to see.

We will also discuss the conservation projects that Connecticut Audubon Society will be involved with in the coming spring and summer. The walk will be free and we suggest bringing binoculars and a spotting scope, if you have one. This is especially needed to help identify the many gulls we may be looking through. Make sure to dress for the season! It is usually safe to assume that this exposed coastal spot is windier and colder than much of the state. Please meet in the visitor parking lot by the buildings. Stratford Point is located at 1207 Prospect Drive, Stratford. For more information, contact Scott Kruitbosch: skruitbosch at ctaudubon.org

========
Scott Kruitbosch
Conservation Technician
Connecticut Audubon Society