[CT Birds] New Haven Bird Club March Schedule

Folsom-O'Keefe, Corrie cfolsom-okeefe at audubon.org
Mon Feb 27 10:46:04 EST 2012

  For the Saturday March 17th Family Bird Walk at Brooksvale Park, please park in the larger lot that is ~150 meters south of the barn.

Thank you!

Corrie Folsom-O'Keefe
NHBC Education Chair

Message: 10
Date: Mon, 27 Feb 2012 10:27:55 -0500
From: Larry Bausher <LPBausher at comcast.net>
To: ctbirds <ctbirds at lists.ctbirding.org>
Subject: [CT Birds] New Haven Bird Club March Schedule

Here is the New Haven Bird Club's schedule of activities for March:

Indoor Meeting:

Monthly Meeting, Thursday, March 8.  Patrick Comins ? Conserving the
Nature of the Connecticut River Watershed.  Free and open to the
public.  The Jones Auditorium of the Connecticut Agricultural
Experiment Station, 123 Huntington St., New Haven, CT.
The Silvio O. Conte National Fish and Wildlife Refuge was established
to conserve the abundance and diversity of native plants and animals
and their habitats in the 7.2 million acre Connecticut River
watershed in CT, MA, NH, and VT. From the sub-boreal forests of VT
and NH to the tidal wetlands of the lower Connecticut River, the
Conte Refuge works in partnership to conserve the places that make
the Connecticut River Watershed special.  Patrick hardly needs an
introduction to CT birders. Active in the bird conservation field for
20 years, he currently is with Audubon Connecticut as Director of
Bird Conservation. He is president of the COA and chairman of the
Friends of the Silvio O. Conte Refuge. He has written articles on
bird conservation and identification and is a member of the CT
Forestlands Council.  Social half-hour at 7:00, program begins at
7:30. For more information call 203-230-1697 or visit

Notice! A Bonus:  Birder Tag Sale at the March Meeting
Do you have a bird book you no longer use? Some avian art you no
longer have room for? Bring the items to the Jan. and Feb. meetings;
we?ll sell them at the March meeting. Items will be priced at $1, $5,
and $10. Proceeds go to NHBC?s Conservation Fund.

Field Trips:

First Wednesday Walk: Sikorsky Airport and Great Meadows Marsh,
Stratford.  Wednesday, March 7, 2012, 8 a.m. Free and open to the
Join us as we visit this fine birding area. We will meet at the Long
Beach parking lot and bird the marsh and beach and then visit
Sikorsky Airport and Frash Pond. We?ll look for sea birds such  as
Long-tailed  Duck  and  scoters, as  well as  raptors  and
shorebirds.  Directions: Follow signs to Sikorsky Airport from Exit
30 off I-95. Go past the airport entrance and follow the causeway to
the end. Take the first right onto Oak Bluff Avenue and follow it to
the Long Beach entrance. Leader?Charlie Barnard. Contact?Tina Green:
203.247.2660, tina at renaissancestudios.com.

Family Bird Walk, Brooksvale Park, Hamden. Saturday, March 17, 2012,
9:00 a.m.  Free and open to the public. This walk is oriented toward
families interested in learning about birds and other wildlife.  The
park is home to a variety of local bird species and has varied
habitat.  Bring binoculars and a field guide if you have them,
appropriate clothing, and a little bit of curiosity about birds and
the natural world.  All ages are welcome.  Meet at the smaller
parking lot next to the barn. Leader?Corrie Folsom-O?Keefe:
203-630-9640, jubilee832001 at yahoo.com.

Southwestern Connecticut Coast.  Sunday, March 25, 2012, 8:00 a.m.
Free and open to the public. We?ll explore the various habitats of
Stratford?s shoreline in search of raptors, ducks, gulls, and early
migrants. If time permits, we may also visit surrounding towns. We?ll
finish by noon or 1:00 pm. Carpooling is encouraged. Meet at Dunkin
Donuts shopping center lot at the corner of Main St. and Access Road
in Stratford.   Leader: Frank Mantlik: 203-984-9410 or
mantlik at sbcglobal.net.

Larry Bausher, West Haven
NHBC Publicity Director

Message: 11