[CT Birds] correction: Western Tanager in Mystic

Glenn Williams gswilliams9 at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 27 21:07:54 EST 2012

The previously reported oriole was seen well today and confirmed to be a female WESTERN TANAGER.  Maggie Jones and Nick Bonomo got good views and photographs today and I was able to see it near dusk.  The Peace Sanctuary is off of River Road on the Groton side of Mystic along the Mystic River.  South of I-95, it is marked by a sign.  The sanctuary is public but the residence is private.  Maggie says that birders are welcome.  The tanager is coming to suet and feeding on the ground below it just south of the house.  It appears to be very skittish, so observing from a distance with a scope would be recommended.  The bird took off as I arrived and did not show again for an hour.

One can park on the road and walk up the path toward the house or drive up the paved road and park at a gravel driveway north of the house.

Glenn Williams
Mystic