[CT Birds] Photos of Western Tanager & others

Nick Bonomo nbonomo at gmail.com
Tue Feb 28 01:14:01 EST 2012

CTBirders,

To view photos of the Western Tanager, Harris's Sparrow, Pink-footed
Goose and Lesser Yellowlegs, visit the following link:
http://www.shorebirder.com/2012/02/recent-rarities-western-tanager-harriss.html

Thanks to Maggie Jones and her hospitality in regards to the Western
Tanager. Contrary to Glenn and Maggie noting the bird to be skittish,
it couldn't have been much more obliging during our half-hour visit
midday today. We quietly watched as the tanager was flycatching around
the yard from a safe but moderately close distance, seemingly
oblivious to our presence, sometimes coming rather close to us. It
stayed in the yard for the entire time minus a couple minutes when we
lost sight of it. I would imagine that if we were moving or talking,
however, it would have startled the bird. And as a general rule: the
larger the crowd, the further away it has to be to prevent scaring it.

Nick Bonomo
Wallingford, CT