[CT Birds] Stratford - Correction to last night's post

Donna Caporaso donnacap at aol.com
Tue Feb 28 18:35:46 EST 2012

I revisited the marshes in better light tonight since after looking at my dark photos and going through all my books I wasn't 100% sure the tree had all Red-Winged Blackbirds so I made the tree my first stop before the sun got to low.  Tonight there were about 50 birds in the big tree next to the tall guardrail at 5:20 and I would guess about 20 or so of them were Red-Wings and the rest were Common Grackles. When I zoomed into some of the photos I was able to see a bit of a difference in the tail and wing tips I also went to Cornell and listened to the various calls for both birds.  I'm still learning : )   Do they typically flock together?

In other news....there was a juvenile Black Crowned Night Heron in the 500 pond with about 6 pairs of Gadwells, a few Am. Black Ducks, 2 swans.  I also heard something I couldn't find...sort of a soft whistling with a peepish at the end.   The 550 pond was empty with a few Red-Wings in the trees behind it.

Donna Caporaso
Stratford, CT