[CT Birds] Gulls plankton-feeding begins, LBBG

Frank Mantlik mantlik at sbcglobal.net
Wed Feb 29 13:29:18 EST 2012

2/29  Stratford, Lordship Seawall & Long Beach
I popped out briefly 10:30 to view LI Sound before the rain/winter storm began.
 I discovered several hundred gulls sitting on the water, plankton-feeding, just
off the Lordship Seawall at Marnick's Restaurant.  Among them was an adult
LESSER BLACK-BACKED GULL.  I called a couple local birders. The wind blew the
gull flock (& plankton?) west towards Long Beach.
I was joined at Long Beach by Charlie Barnard, where I estimated 1000 gulls (60%
Ring-billed, 40% Herring), including the LBBG and 1 Bonaparte's.  By 11:30 the
flock had dispersed somewhat, as well as was blown much farther offshore towards
Bridgeport.  Then the rain began.

Frank Mantlik

>From Frank Mantlik, with Charlie Barnard
2/29 Stratford, Long Beach - Adult LESSER BLACK-BACKED GULL, 1 Bonaparte's Gull
with 1000 gulls (60%/40% Ringbilled: Herring) plankton-feeding.  Also numbers of
Brant, Black Ducks, Common Goldeneyes, and Long-tailed Ducks.