[CT Birds] Gulls plankton-feeding begins, LBBG

Boletebill boletebill at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 29 13:48:42 EST 2012

Re the gull feeding behavior...

I have seen this behavior in the CT River in Essex in both the Spring and the Fall.
I have posted about this before here but still the question seems unanswered "What are they feeding on?" Dennis says Barnacle larvae, Frank says plankton, someone else fish but how do we know these things?
I'm curious has anyone ever dragged a plankton trawl through these gull flocks and ID-ed the food source or are the previous comments educated guesses?
Any references anyone could supply would be appreciated
. Is it possible Blue Crab larvae are involved?
I ask because it seems to me Plankton blooms are something different from synchronomous larval hatches and it would be interesting to know if it's one or the other or both of these events.

Bill Yule.