[CT Birds] CACC

Beverly Propen bpropen at gmail.com
Wed Feb 29 16:47:13 EST 2012

2/29  Milford, Connecticut Audubon Coastal Center
10AM-1Pm, cloudy, 45, low tide rising;  started raining around 11:45 AM or
so.
In marsh:  I counted 112+ Green winged teals, in groups throughout the
marsh, about 70% were males;   mallards, American black ducks, Ring billed
gulls,
  14 Buffleheads, 2 mute swans, 4 Canada geese, American wigeons, 2 pairs
of Gadwalls, 1 pair of RB Mergansers-doing lots of diving, and further out
near mouth of Housatonic a mixed  group of ducks that were hard to decipher
plus  a group of 100+ "peeps"-also too far out to decipher.
On the grounds were mourning doves, cardinals , Red winged blackbirds,
house sparrows, house finches, several song sparrows, and one sparrow type
bird which I think was a song sparrow, since it was feeding on ground with
2 other song sparrows- its front half  was
predominantly charcoal gray over its breast, head, nape,stomach, and back
with black streaking on the charcoal gray;
its wings were rufous with streaking and its primaries were solid rufous
colored.
Closest I could find was in Sibley's P. 498 a song sparrow of Adult
Aleutian , but the bird I saw was even a deeper charcoal gray.
Beverly Propen, Orange