[CT Birds] Gull / Plankton Feeding

Donna Caporaso donnacap at aol.com
Wed Feb 29 16:48:47 EST 2012

I find the current discussion fascinating anddecided to see what information is available on the internet regarding SlipperShells which were mentioned in a post and are abundant along our coast. And, anyone who has been to Long Beach in Stratford will know that the Gulls and Sanderlings  feast on the Slipper Shells all the time.  To feast on them sans shell would certainly send them into a frenzy. I remember hearing somewhere that when the eggs hatch it could beseveral weeks before they develop shells. Some of the info below relates to studies in Chili but is certainly speciesrelevant.

Here is just a snippet of info.  More research into when they Embroys hatch in CT is needed!  It may be possible that theGulls are feasting on Slipper Shell (Family Calyptraeidae) larvae that inturn are feeding on the plankton.  Embryoshatch as pelagic larvae in some species or as crawling juveniles inothers. Field and laboratory evidence suggested thatthe postlarval juveniles crawled away from incubational substrates andassumed a drifting existence in the water column.  The pelagic stage lasts for 15 16 days and  that  stage the shell and velum of the larvae grow.

http://www.mendeley.com/research/the-aligned-enterprise-orchestrating-the-next-level-of-performance/
http://www.int-res.com/articles/meps/65/m065p183.pdf
 Lots more sites too.

It could be a combination of several factors –hatching Slipper Shells eggs, increase in Plankton which the Slipper shelllarvae eat and perhaps Blue Crab (will research them latter.

Anyway, I find this topic fascinating and I hopethe experts will share the opinions as well.

Two of the many sites I visited

http://www.mendeley.com/research/the-aligned-enterprise-orchestrating-the-next-level-of-performance/
http://www.int-res.com/articles/meps/65/m065p183.pdf
 Lots more sites too.

Why didn’t I go to college for myfirst love…marine biology…..

Donna Caporaso
Stratford, CT