[CT Birds] Barnacles-a-commin

Glenn Williams gswilliams9 at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 29 18:14:43 EST 2012

When you first started reporting this phenomenon, I contacted marine science people to get more information.  I heard a lot of convincing reasons why you were wrong and believed it.  Who's to argue with someone who knows more than yourself about a topic?  I did eventually hear from a marine bio guy who agreed that you correct in that there were concentrations of plankton large enough for gulls to eat with their "non-filter feeding" bills, but the plankton were definitely not barnacles.

Congratulations on your perseverance.  It will probably makes us all think twice the next time a non-birder tells us something that we are positive is incorrect about birds.

Glenn Williams