[CT Birds] Plankton photos: more plankton questions

Boletebill boletebill at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 1 09:51:27 EST 2012

Gulls-flock mass feeding....A great discussion of the bird food chain from my point of view.
Thanks for the responses to my questions and the discussion in general. Looking at the pics from CT Audubon they certainly look like barnacle larvae to my eye.
I guess one of my follow-up questions is this one: Given a dense mass of plankton near the surface are there also fish feeding on this food source and if there are fish what are they and how do we know that the gulls are feeding on plankton and not fish? If I missed to answer to this question in the thread already posted my apologies but it seems to me that this is an interesting phenomena and a good one to discuss here. Someone mentioned duck stomachs filled with plankton and I understand this... but gulls seem to be a different category in terms of their food preferences?

Bill Yule