[CT Birds] Golden Eagle, Sharon

Audubon Center at Bent of the River bentoftheriver at gmail.com
Thu Mar 1 13:13:52 EST 2012

We haven't had a sighting reported by any humans yet, but the computers are
telling us!  I'll let Scott Heth, Director of Audubon Sharon explain:

Hello all,

You may remember that Erin O'Connell and her team helped to rehabilitate an
injured Golden Eagle last year.  This eagle was fitted with a transmitter
in conjunction with a university study on the effects of wind turbines on
birds.  The bird was ultimately released at Mohawk State Forest and flew
away beautifully.

It was tracked to the upper Saint Lawrence River in Quebec last spring and
then the radio signal was lost- until now!

Radio contact was recently reestablished- probably because the bird
reentered areas where the transmitter could communicate with cell towers.
As a result, all of the information that the data logger had stored in the
meantime was transmitted and it's jouney back to our area documented.

The exciting news is that according to gps points and google earth, the
eagle flew down through New York, through Amenia and the same spot it was
found injured last year and directly over the Audubon Center on
Tuesday! The last transmission tracked it to a spot on White Hollow Road in
Sharon, not far from one of our board member's house.

Erin and I went out to see if we could find it but we couldn't- not
surprising because even a big bird like that can blend in to its
surroundings quite well.

We will keep track of its movements and we are all excited that this bird
has made it through the year and has come back to essentially the exact
spot that it was found last year.  It is still thought to be in the White
Hollow-Sharon Flats-Hotchkiss School area.  If anyone spots it, please let
us know.

Good birding,
Ken Elkins
Education Program Manager