[CT Birds] Konold's Pond, Woodbridge

Stephen Broker LS.BROKER at COX.NET
Thu Mar 1 18:02:27 EST 2012

From Steve Broker (Cheshire):
03/01/12 - Woodbridge, Konold's Pond from West Rock ridge top (3:50 PM-4:20 PM) -- Following up on a message from Phil Asprelli [see above for Phil's post this afternoon on Konold's Pond], I drove to West Rock in later afternoon to check on birds there.  As Phil mentioned, the 2 TRUMPETER SWANS remain at Konold's Pond.  This is Day 26 of their occupancy at the pond.  Recall that a pair of Trumpeters stayed at Konold's Pond from Wednesday, March 30 until Saturday, April 2, 2011, and also that a pair of Trumpeters occupied Cranberry (Bog) Pond, Stratford from Tuesday, March 30 to Thursday, April 1, 2010.  It will be interesting to see if the swan pair remains at Konold's Pond this year through the month of March.

Although conditions were not pleasant this afternoon (snow,light rain and cold air), I took time to look more carefully at ducks on the pond than I apparently did yesterday.  A rough count turned up at least 100 widely scattered Ring-necked Ducks with the likelihood of many more, so my comment yesterday about the big fall-off in their numbers at Konold's Pond does not hold up.