[CT Birds] Probable intergrade Green-winged Teal at Milford Pt

Nick Bonomo nbonomo at gmail.com
Sat Mar 3 21:00:59 EST 2012

This afternoon among 80 Green-winged Teal in the marsh at Milford Pt
was an apparent intergrade "American" x "Common" Green-winged Teal.
Also in the marsh were 6 NORTHERN PINTAIL among the more common
species.

Regarding the intergrade, what caught my eye initially was a hint of a
white horizontal stripe on the bird's lower scapulars. While
"American" Green-winged Teal (Anas crecca carolinensis) often show a
thin buffy or whitish edge to their lower scaps, this bird was
exhibiting a subtly stronger and whiter line, like a thin and faint
shadow of the typically bold white horizontal stripe of a "Common" or
"Eurasian" Green-winged Teal (Anas crecca crecca) - thus catching my
eye. Once locked onto this bird I noticed that it was sporting a
significantly thinner vertical white bar on its breast side. The bird
was very easy to track as it mingled among several dozen teal. While
either of these features by itself might be chalked up to individual
variation in A. c. carolinensis, I believe that their combined
presence is strongly indicative of an intergrade.

For some poor photos, click the link below:
http://www.shorebirder.com/2012/03/probable-intergrade-green-winged-teal.html

Nick Bonomo
Wallingford, CT