[CT Birds] Red-winged blackbirds - Washington, CT (Spring at last!)

John D Babington davewb07 at sbcglobal.net
Sun Mar 4 10:47:04 EST 2012

I have been waiting for a first bird sign of Spring for me, the arrival of red-winged blackbirds. Well this morning at breakfast (Sunday, 4 Mar 2012) here on South St in Washington, CT we had a flock of about 20 male red-winged blackbirds show up our bird feeder. Three of the male red-winged blackbirds were young birds with the female like plumage but with the red wing bars. It was interesting to see one of the full adult plumage male red-wingeds 'go after' one of young ones. The red-winged did not stay long at the feeder. These red-winged blackbirds are likely ones I see at the wet land area (Shepaug Soccer Lower Field) just across the town line of Washington in Roxbury below the Shepaug (Region 12) Middle/High School. Love those feisty red-winged blackbirds!

David W Babington
Washington, CT