[CT Birds] Southport Survey # 297

Dennis Varza dennisvz at optonline.net
Sun Mar 4 11:57:43 EST 2012

Southport Survey # 297

The tide was high and the water calm. The sky was overcast but clear,
I could see the Empire State Building unaided once I picked it out in
my scope. I could watch people walking dogs on Compo Beach. One would
think one could see distances best on clear sunny days, but that is
not true. When the weather is sunnier and warmer heat wave start to
occur and the humidity causes a haze.

In the area of were Sunken Island would be there was again a mixed
raft of White-Winged Scoters and Greater Scaup. The Surf Scoters were
flying west. In the area just off shore were most of the birds. Long-
tailed Ducks, Loons, Grebes and the Gannet.

The golf course ponds again contained 18 Red-breasted Mergansers and
this time 1 each Greater and Lesser Scaup. Also an immature Double-
crested Cormorant was there. On the lawns were most of the Geese.
Southport Harbor was empty except for the Bufflehead and 3 Red-
throated Loons. It appears Baby Huey and friends have moved over to
Sherwood island. Other geese have started inland.

It looks like most of the puddle ducks have started moving on, no
Gadwall, only 2 wigeon, reduced number of Mallards. The Common
Goldeneye were again around the bend to the west of Southport Beach.

Dennis Varza
Fairfield

DATE	02/12	2/22	2/26	3/4
Tide	Low_	High	Low_	High