[CT Birds] Swans, Tundra or Trumpeter

Mntncougar at aol.com Mntncougar at aol.com
Tue Mar 6 18:45:24 EST 2012

I was asking myself the same question last night, and in fact, I sent a
message to the local birding group (NOS) this AM expressing my reservations.
But  I was back there between 10:30 and 11 AM and saw no sign of them, so I
assumed  they had moved on. Obviously, I was wrong since someone saw them at
4:45 PM  today. There are some places there where they could be hidden.
I must say my impression when I saw them was definitely Tundra, and I agree
 very much with Bob Bitondi's overall assessment of them. I will say they
did  seem fairly large compared to the C. Geese next to them, but the
Trumpeters I  have seen did truly seem "massive." I really didn't think the bills
were that  large, either. And the black line from the bill to the eye seemed
very thin,  hard to see at all from the several hundred yard distance, even
with a good  scope. None of the three had any yellow in the bill except a
thin line in the  lower mandible, which could be present in either species.
Although I didn't see  them again I still believe they were Tundra's, but I
welcome more eyes and more  opinions.

Don Morgan
Coventry