[CT Birds] Milford, Gulf Pond and west

Dennis Varza dennisvz at optonline.net
Tue Mar 6 21:00:40 EST 2012

Hi folks

Just poking around from Gulf Pond to Oyster River in the morning.
Only several of points of interest.

At Gulf Pond there was a cluster of gulls resting on the marsh at the
edge of the water. After scanning for ducks I was going to
concentrate on count the gulls. After just starting, they all
scattered. I looked around to see if someone was feeding them, but
nope. I finally noticed a near adult Bald Eagle overhead. I never
expected gulls to be spooked by a Bald Eagle!

There was one adult Gannet off Gulf Beach between shore and Charles
Island.

There were not drifts of gulls or rafts of Scaup off Morningside.

At Merwin Pt. there is a rocky outcropping to the west that almost
always has cormorants on it. There were 2 cormorants today.  However,
they were both Double-crested Cormorants!

Just to be different, here is something you don't see everyday, the
count of the gulls

Gulf Pond and Beach 151 Ring-billed Gull	39 Herring Gull	1 Great
Black-backed Gull
Shore between Gulf Beach and Merwin Pt.	81 Ring-billed Gull	26
Herring Gull	1 Great Black-backed Gull
Merwin Pt. to Oyster River 130 Ring-billed Gull, 72 Herring Gull, 1
Great Black Backed Gull

Notice there are a lot more Ring-billed Gulls than Herring Gull. That
is typical for this end of the sound. At Hammonasset and West Herring
Gulls dominate.

Dennis Varza
Fairfield.