[CT Birds] Sharp-shinned hawks in Cheshire

James Kalach jkalach at sbcglobal.net
Wed Mar 7 11:07:01 EST 2012

I'm a new subscriber and have been enjoying reading the list.
I've been seeing many Sharp-shinned hawks in the center of Cheshire for the past 4-5 weeks.  My neighbor and I have multi-feeder systems and they have been relatively quiet on many days during this period.  Last month, we did see a large female that had taken a
Starling at my feeders.
I'm seeing and hearing several (4-5) at a time at the tops of tall trees between Eastgate and Flagler off Route 10 around noon.  Some appear to be adults while others are smaller.  We have seen one or two occassionally in past years, but there are many more this year.
Jim Kalach