[CT Birds] Ring Necked Ducks-sexes

kmueller at ntplx.net kmueller at ntplx.net
Thu Mar 8 23:55:56 EST 2012

To add a bit of twist to this interesting question. Like many
waterfowl species (especially divers), in the fall migration, the
first birds to leave the nesting grounds and arrive on the wintering
grounds (including in route migration stops) are the hens and juvenile
birds. In Long Island Sound-traditionally, White-winged Scoters would
arrive in late September. The flocks consisted of mostly hens and
juveniles (they are called 'brownies' by Down East waterfowlers). The
majority of the drakes usually didn't show up in the Sound  until mid
to late October.

The drakes arrive later (in some species much later such as
Goldeneyes) following the hens and meeting up later in the season.
When the number of drakes (in winter) increased to a high percentage,
the majority of the migration is completed. In spring it is often
reversed- the drakes come through first (and may stay for a period of
time) and the hens rapidly pass through often unseen. Also in our
area, certain species such as the Ring-necked Duck and the BLue-winged
Teal are more common during their spring migration, and much less in
the fall, and as Greg stated; males and females of some species follow
different migration routes.

Good question!

Keith Mueller
Killingworth

I did a little checking on this. According to Birds of North America
on Line, the males and females winter in different numbers at
different latitudes, which suggests that they also have different
migration schedules. This is true of other birds, such as male
Red-winged Blackbirds arriving on territory ahead of females.

Greg Hanisek
Waterbury

----- Original Message ----- From: "Paul Desjardins"
<paul.desjardins2 at gmail.com>