[CT Birds] female Ring neck ducks

Carrier Graphics carriergraphics at sbcglobal.net
Fri Mar 9 01:24:15 EST 2012

About the lesser proportionate numbers of female Ring neck ducks being seen.

With some migrating birds, isn't it a fact that the males
usually show up first in their summer territories before the females?.
So being that - the first early push inland of wintering ducks
 might just be of more males attempting to get north faster than the females so
they can set up a territory for themselves?

But I have also read some ducks pair up on wintering grounds, then move
to breeding grounds together.......... Or maybe could it be the females just
don't want to
be around the bothersome males till they arrive on territory? Males can be so
preoccupied
with themselves this time of year - yes?

Just my thoughts...................Paul Carrier