[CT Birds] GULLS!, ICELAND, Gannets, Woodies, Merlin, AmOy

Frank Mantlik mantlik at sbcglobal.net
Fri Mar 9 14:35:58 EST 2012

3/9  Stratford
-  Long Beach, 9 - 10 am:  7000+ gulls (6500 Ring-billed,  500 Herring, 3
Bonaparte's, 1 Great Black-backed, 1 ICELAND - 1st cycle) surface-feeding about
0.5 - 1 mile offshore, about where the oyster boats were again working.  The
band of gulls extended for 1-2 miles.  I counted conservatively by 10's as I
panned with the scope.  The flock continually flew/moved to the south /
southeast, heading farther out into the Sound, following the barnacle larvae
plankton.  When I returned at noon (high tide, calmer seas), many of the gulls
were scattered, and sizable flocks had gathered on the beaches to rest and preen
(feathers flying).  Other highlights: 3 AMERICAN OYSTERCATCHERS flying west
towards Bridgeport.  Many expected ducks, Brant, loons, shorebirds. Another
highlight was meeting old friends Ron Rozsa and Ken Metzler there.
- "Warehouse" Pond (Long Beach Blvd) - pair Wood Ducks.
- Lordship Seawall:  1 Northern Gannet, flock of 18 Bonaparte's Gulls flying
toward feeding flock.
- Stratford Point:  1 Merlin, 2 Northern Gannets.
-  Sniffen's Lane:  3 American Oystercatchers flying around Milford Point; and 2
more at Housatonic River Cove riprap behind old AVCO Army Plant.
- Roosevelt Forest: no birds during 20 minute visit, but probably 300 +/-
calling Wood Frogs at pond surface.
- Cranbury Pond: 16+ Painted Turtles basking on mud and rocks.

Frank Mantlik
Stratford