[CT Birds] Harris's Sparrow, Eurasian Wigeon continue

Brenda Inskeep binskeep at optonline.net
Sat Mar 10 20:23:20 EST 2012

Finally able to get out and see the Harris's Sparrow on Norwich Ave. between Greer & Roger Foote Rd. in Lebanon this afternoon.  This beautiful bird came out just five minutes after a young man with NJ plates, who had been looking for quite some time, unfortunately departed.  Someone has scattered bird seed in an open area around the bushes at the entrance to the dilapidated cement structure that is filled with manure and the Harris's Sparrow came out to feed twice on the seed in 45 minutes providing a perfect view along with several White-throated Sparrows, two American Tree Sparrows, a junco and cardinals.  There were also two voles feeding (?) on the bird seed.  Seed donations are welcome, I'm sure.  Anyone, like me, still needing directions after 60+ days - here is the link to the original message (I think):

http://lists.ctbirding.org/pipermail/ctbirds_lists.ctbirding.org/Week-of-Mon-20120109/030263.html

Along I-91 near Hamden there were two Black Vultures soaring overhead.

In Southport, the Eurasian Wigeon continues and there were two Bonaparte's Gulls at 8:30 am.

Not a single goose along Ferry Lane at 1 pm.

Brenda Inskeep
Stamford