[CT Birds] Mount Vernon Songbird Sanctuary

jayne.neville at cox.net jayne.neville at cox.net
Mon Mar 12 12:18:57 EDT 2012

CT birders --

I thought I better  respond to all the inquiries regarding MVSS Annual Benefit Dinner and Auction.

Due to the strain of a very poor economy resulting in an extremely reduced amount of funds we will not be holding the Benefit Dinner and Auction.  In lieu of attending the event it is my fervent hope that you will consider making a monetary donation instead. Your generous support has made it possible for me to carry out my mission all these years, and I am hopeful to carry it out for another busy breeding season with the return of all our wonderful migrants!

I also have some great news!!

The sanctuary will soon legally own 4 ½ acres which will be permanently preserved from development!! This includes the nesting pavilion and chimney for swifts and swallows, a large barn, an easement to a pond, and wooded and open grassy habitats.
While still rehabilitating small numbers of specific species, my focus has turned toward education in songbird conservation and habitat preservation. I will be doing this by presenting educational programs to the public and wildlife rehabilitators, and will continue to manage the sanctuary land to support songbirds and also assist private land owners in conservation.

These days the sanctuary is full of bird song and activity with these warmer than usual temps in March. The Eastern bluebirds have already begun nest building! American woodcocks are very much present with movement , displaying and peenting at dusk each day. The pond has awakened with mallards present,  and wood frogs and spring peepers calling. The Northern mockingbird is non -stop singing and is already mimicking Great crested flycatchers and other May arriving migrants!!! I have observed the Carolina wren male feeding the female and  believe they may be nesting in the barn that MVSS will also soon own.

Please visit the website for updates, photos and sanctuary happenings! www.mvssanctuary.org And as always your support of my songbird conservation efforts is very much appreciated!!!

Happy Early Spring everyone!!!!

Jayne Neville
Mount Vernon Songbird Sanctuary