[CT Birds] Stratford, Green Winged Teals / Gull Question

Donna Caporaso donnacap at aol.com
Mon Mar 12 14:46:17 EDT 2012

Sunday there were 5 mail Green Winged Teals and 3 females at Wooster pond in Stratford between 1-130 p.m.  Also present were few mallards and gulls.  Not a goose to be seen.

Pond behind office building on Access Road had 8 juvenile Herons that I believe were Black Crowned as well as one small Blacked Crowned  that I would guess is very young from his size.

Also, photos #4 and # 5 in link below are two pink legged Gulls.  The one on the right in photo 5 is much smaller and has a more roundish head (very pink beak and legs). He stood out and caught my eye. I have more photos I could send if anyone wants to take a look. The plumage from what I understand from my Northern American Gull book, is probably 2nd winter going into 3rd year and would be similar for Herring and Thayers (and a few others).  I think it is way too small to be a Herring Gull but there are so many other variables to take into consideration.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10150667431547439.415810.726347438&type=1

Thank you

Donna Caporaso
Stratford, CT