[CT Birds] Clever Carolina Wren

Angeladimmitt at aol.com Angeladimmitt at aol.com
Tue Mar 13 13:32:22 EDT 2012

3/13 - My garden:  my Carolina Wrens are getting hot and heavy  and this
morning I witnessed what to me is rather interesting behavior:-   the male was
sitting on the nest box, bobbing away and singing loudly and,  whenever he
stopped, I could hear tiny little squeaks like baby birds calling to  be
fed.   After about five minutes he flew off and tried a different  song down
the garden - the female had been with him earlier at the feeders, but  now had
disappeared.  Quite cunning that he figured babies' calling would  bring
her home!  Anyone else heard this, or other species doing it?

Angela Dimmitt
New Milford