[CT Birds] early birds ALERT

Greg Hanisek ghanisek at rep-am.com
Tue Mar 13 16:18:01 EDT 2012

The reports of Pine Warblers the last few days merit a little heads up. Pine
Warbler is the earliest local breeding warbler to return on territory, so
these reports are within the expected time frame, at least by recent
standards. However, overall recent standards are trending earlier all the
time.  Given the weather, we should all be alert for birds arriving ahead of
schedule. If recent trends continue, we'll may well get a few that stretch
credulity or at least set early arrival dates for the state.

If you see a bird that's common later in the year, say May, June or even
mid- to late-April, bear in mind that it is RARE if it shows up now. (For
example any flycatcher except E Phoebe, any vireo, most warblers etc).
There's a rather short list of expected March passerine arrivals so be
thinking documentation. Many of you are very good with the camera, and if
not take some notes. If you think you hear a species that shouldn't be
around this early, make an effort to get a look at it and confirm its ID
visually. There can be a jumble of sound right now coming from things such
as goldfinches, titmice, house finches etc that might resemble something
else.

Greg Hanisek
Waterbury